There was a time when 2D projection was the only way to experience a truly cinematic feel while you chill at home. But the advancement of projector technology and the availability of modern hardware has paved the way for users to have an authentic 3D cinematic experience through their projector.
Getting the best 3D projector is probably the most intelligent way to get a theater-like large screen 3D output with stunning image depth. Our team has come up with a list of top 3D projectors that will not only fulfill your desire to experience 3D video but also get them without spending a hefty amount of price.
We have put up a detailed review regarding all the 3D projectors so that you have proper knowledge about what you are getting.
We will be delighted if you can spare some time and check out the comparison of all the 3D projectors we have listed. Going through the table will help you to shortlist the projector of your liking and properly go through their review.
Table of Contents
Best 3D Projector: Our Top Picks
The 5 Best 3D Projectors of 2023
Without a doubt, ViewSonic PJD7828HDL is one of the best 3D home theater projectors you can buy. It is powered by full HD native resolution and DLP projection, and together they make sure you are totally immersed in the visual.
The most highlighting feature of this device is its dual 3D Blu-Ray Ready HDMI input that allows you to high-definition 3D movies at your home comfort. Watching movies or playing games in 3D would be a treat to your eye, and the credit goes to SuperColor IPSMatch technology with a 22000:1 contrast ratio.
The 3200 ANSI lumens play a crucial role in assisting the projector in creating bright images even when there is ambient light in the room. It is loaded with various input options apart from HDMI, and you will find VGA, S-Video, composite, USB, micro USB, and audio-in. The throw ratio of 1.15:1 makes it possible for you to set up the projector in your room without requiring much space.
The 10-watt cube speaker serves as an added advantage, and you won’t need an external speaker if you place the projector in your room. When it comes to screen size, the setup area won’t be a concern for you because you can change the screen size from 30inch to a massive 300inches. The 10000hour of lamp life might be disappointing for some people, but if you use this 1080p 3D projector wisely, it will run for many years.
What We Liked:
- Rich color and bright image output.
- Excellent 3D output with high clarity.
- Easy to set up.
- It comes with all the adequate image correction options.
What We Didn’t Like:
- The black levels could have been better.
When you talk about the top-of-the-line 4K 3D projector, BenQ TK850i deserves a mention that is geared with true 4K resolution to turn your room into a mini-theater. Geared with full HD 3D compatibility, it opens the world of cinematic 3D visual experience at your home.
The combination of 3000 ANSI lumens and a 30000:1 contrast ratio takes the whole image quality to a new height and gives you a rich output in any lighting conditions. It offers a 98% Rec709 color accuracy with HDR-Pro, so you can imagine how your 3D movies are going to turn out.
Unlike an ordinary 4K 3D home theater projector, it gives you a vast option of 3D content through the Android TV platform, where you can download numerous OTT apps. It has an excellent throw ratio of 1.13, thus making it suitable for home setup with an amount of space.
We loved the fact that you won’t ever have to watch movies with any deformation because you can utilize the lens shift, zoom, and keystone adjustment for correction. This 3D smart projector even offers immense lamp longevity of 15000hour which makes it possible for you to use the projector for at least five years.
What We Liked:
- Mindboggling image quality in 3D output.
- Superior color accuracy with minimal noise.
- Seamless movie streaming through the Android platform.
- It is loaded with numerous ports.
What We Didn’t Like:
- The lens shift capability is limited.
- It doesn’t come with lens memory.
Designed to offer you a large screen 3D viewing, Optoma HD146X is a meticulously engineered projector that uses a DLP projection system along with 3D compatibility. You can enjoy crisp and home cinema image quality with its native full HD resolution and that too with superior vivid colors.
Unlike cheap 3D projectors, it has an incredible 3600 ANSI lumens, which not only ensures a bright view but also pops out all the subtle colors. While watching movies with this 3D movie projector, you will be impressed by the black depth it has on offer, and the credit goes to the 500000:1 contrast ratio.
Not only movies, but you can also utilize this projector 3D gaming as it is backed by fast response time with enhanced gaming modes. However, with a 1.47:1 throw ratio, you can’t expect this device to use it in a small room as it needs a significant amount of space for a proper setup. With 40-degree keystone correction and manual zoom, you can pretty much correct most image errors with ease.
It comes with USB, audio, and HDMI 1.14a 3D support that allows you to play 3D content from different sources with the support for a 120Hz rapid refresh rate. Our team was quite stunned by its 15000hours of lamp life, enabling this full HD 3D projector to last for many years.
What We Liked:
- It comes with a decent price tag.
- The image quality is at par with the top-end 3D Blu-Ray projector.
- Decent lamp longevity.
- You can easily set up the device.
What We Didn’t Like:
- It only comes with a limited number of ports.
Epson Home Cinema 2250 is not your average 3D LCD projector from the market, rather a specially engineered product that has all the features to offer you a great movie time. It is based on a 3LCD projection technology, image enhancement, and frame interpolation, whose main job is to treat your eye with magnificent views.
Importantly, it flaunts a full HD native resolution that offers best-in-class image clarity and detailing even for your 3D movies. However, it is not a full HD 3D video projector, and it can play 3D contents in HD resolution, which might not be a piece of good news for some movie enthusiasts.
The 2700 ANSI lumens and 100% RGB color signal display capability of this device are simply commendable as you can watch any content at optimum brightness and color saturation. It also offers a fantastic contrast of 70000:1 that not only delivers high detailing and also makes it sit in the same tier of a high-quality 3D laser projector.
Whether you want to use it in-home or outside, the 34-332inch screen size with a 1.33:1 throw ratio will let you set it up anywhere you want. Despite so many features, it still comes with two-year limited warranty coverage, and we can indeed say that hardly any brand looks after their customer in this manner.
What We Liked:
- Impressive shadow detailing and color accuracy.
- Superior 3D visual performance.
- The wireless connectivity is relatively seamless.
- It doesn’t fade images in a bright environment.
What We Didn’t Like:
- It gets only one HDMI port.
Optoma UHD30 is truly a masterpiece in the world of high-definition 3D projectors that offers not only stunning 3D visuals but also an impressive brightness of 3400 ANIS lumens. However, it is the actual 4K native resolution and 500,000:1 contrast ratio that takes all the limelight as they offer theater-like image quality at your home.
It is even HDR10 and HLG compatible, meaning it will enhance your 3D visual experience by a large margin. What’s more? Whether you watch movies or football matches, you will enjoy the vibrant color and superior detailing, and it has been made possible by the 8-segment color wheel with UltraDetail technology.
The connectivity option is an essential aspect for a 3D-ready projector, and that is why it gets HDMI 1.4a 3D support along with HDMI 2.0, audio 3.5mm, RS232, etc. You can utilize the projector in any location because you will get the support of a 33-300inch wide screen size to cater to any crowd.
While moving to large screen sizes, you might face some image deformation, but you don’t need to worry as it offers a 40-degree keystone along with zoom and lens shift.
What We Liked:
- Crisp and color 4K visual output.
- Artifact and rainbow effect-free 3D visuals.
- It is loaded with numerous image correction options.
What We Didn’t Like:
- It needs a large room for setup.
Lastly, we want to present to you some crucial information which we think will ease up your buying process. We have included a buying guide and some key FAQs so you won’t have to look anywhere else to solve your doubts.
How Can I Watch 3D Movies On My Projector?
The most convenient and easiest way to watch 3D movies is by getting a 3D-compatible projector. Not all projector has the capability to produce 3D visuals so it is crucial to have a top-notch 3D unit that can produce images that will trigger the simulation experience in real-time.
Besides, you also need to have proper 3D glass that will help you perceive the 3D output and immerse you entirely in the visuals. Even though you can watch 3D movies on any kind of projector screen, it would be wise to get a high-gain or 3D movie dedicated screen. Having such a screen will result in a better experience and also enhance the depth of the image to create a better simulation.
Once you get a 3D projector, you just need to play any 3D movie or video through any source, and you can enjoy theater-like 3D output at your home. The 3D film can only be played through HDMI or USB, so you should check compatibility before using it.
Buying Guide for Best 3D Projector
Thinking of getting the best 3D projector and buying them in real life is two different things. It is not easy to find the ideal one since the market is filled with so many options. So the following guide will help you to consider important factors which will in turn in assist you buy the most appropriate model;
- Display Technology- When you decide to get a 3D projector, you will only get the DLP and LCD options. DLP is probably the most common choice when it comes to 3D movies as it offers impressive image out quality with rich color and detailing. Most importantly, it produces a wide greyscale and smooth 3D visuals. However, they face a lot of rainbow effects and produce low black, which often hampers the whole output. LCD projection, on the other hand, has become the first choice for users who want to project 3D videos in large areas or setups with a lot of ambient light. Not only can it produce bright images and intense color but also minimize fading in ambient light. However, LCD projectors tend to be bulky, and they tend to lose image quality over time.
- Screen Resolution- The resolution is probably the second most vital criterion when you want a 3D experience at home. Getting the best 4K 3D projector would be an intelligent choice for the most satisfactory cinematic experience, but it does come with a hefty price. So if you are short on budget, HD or Full HD native resolution would be a wise choice as you will get great visuals without spending a large chunk. Check out our review on projectors for less than $300.
- Brightness and Contrast- Never sacrifice brightness and contrast when you want to have an immersive 3D experience at home. Brightness can make or deteriorate a 3D output, so you should consider it based on your location. A brightness level between 1500 ANSI and 3000 ANSI is ideal for home setup as it can deliver bright 3D visuals without losing detail in ambient light. However, for the contrast ratio, we recommend you to for a high amount because the better the contrast, the better will be black depth and detailing. A contrast ratio of 200000:1 would be sufficient for stunning visual output.
- Responsiveness- Whether you want to game or watch action movies in 3D, you need a high frame rate with low input lag to get a buttery smooth 3D output. When you get a 3D projector with input lag below 30ms, you get not only smooth framing but also get sharp images with negligible motion blur. A clear output is vital for 3D because then you can get a mesmerizing result while gazing through the glass.
- Screen Size and Throw Ratio- You will need a widescreen size while hosting a 3D movie party at your house. You need at least a screen size of 30-200inche for an authentic movie experience at your home comfort. However, if you plan to use it in your backyard, then we would recommend you to go for a screen size of around 300inches. The throw ratio you want to get entirely depends upon the space you can allocate for setup. For home, it would be better if you can go for an ultra-short or short-throw ratio, but if you have huge space availability, then you can go for anything.
Can any projector play 3D?
No, not all projector comes with the capability to play 3D visuals as they need to come with 3D compatibility hardware and software. Nowadays, there are many projectors that come with inbuilt 3D visual playing capability, while some can only play 3D content when played through HDMI. If you go for a DIY projector, you can turn any projector into a 3D unit, but it is a highly technical process.
Do 3D projectors need a special screen?
You might be thinking that you need a special screen for 3D, but you don’t. All you need is the 3D content and your projector to have an immersive experience.3D projectors have been around for decades, long before the advent of 3D TVs. These three-dimensional images are created by projecting light onto a screen from many different angles to produce a three-dimensional picture that looks as real as life.
What is the difference between 3D and 3D-ready projectors?
A 3D projector is the most common type that has the capability to play 3D visuals by itself without needing any external source. You can play 3D content through a USB drive, plus it can turn any 2D content into 3D output. However, a 3D-ready projector doesn’t have inbuilt 3D property, and it can play when it receives a 3D signal (mainly through HDMI).
Are 3D projectors active or passive?
The 3D projectors are active, and they require the use of an extra pair of glasses to view them. These glasses can be obtained in a variety of different sizes, colors, shapes, and prices.
If you want to know more about 3D, read our post on how 3D projectors work.
We hope you are satisfied with all our detailed reviews that were meticulously done by our team after working for many hours. All the projectors have their own set of advantages and disadvantages, but they all successfully offer a terrific 3D experience to their users.
We have even provided a detailed guide along with some FAQs so that you can have a clear idea about what you are getting. Whether you are a movie buff, 3D movie enthusiast, or ardent gamer, we are confident that our list will satisfy your performance and visual requirement.
My name is Henry Larson and I have been associated with research and development of projectors throughout my professional career. I used all my experience and expertise to create this blog so that I can guide people to get the best projector of their choice. For any further assistance, you can get in touch with me through email or comments.