In the world of gaming, you need to have the best hardware to get the best out of gaming sessions. Every gamer knows that a high-end PC, PS5, or Xbox One won’t be worth it if you don’t have a powerful medium to show them.
A TV serves as a conventional option, but when it comes to screen size with sheer quality, nothing beats a projector. Having the best gaming projector not only allows you to get the highest degree of gaming experience but also expands your gaming boundary.
Apart from gaming hardware and sound system, you need a high-quality gaming projector to showcase visuals accurately on the big screen. So check out our list of top gaming projectors that will engage you in long hours of gaming sessions.
However, it would be best if you can spare some moment and check out the comparison table. This table will tell you the main feature of all the gaming projectors we have added and also help you to differentiate between them.
Best Gaming Projector: Our Top Picks
The 7 Best Gaming Projectors of 2022
Want to go beyond the limited size of the monitor and enjoy your favorite games on the big screen? Then Optoma HD28HDR video gaming projector could be your target. With the support of full HD native resolution and a 50000:1 contrast ratio, it will simply blow your mind whenever you play any game. What’s more? It can even support 4K resolution through HDMI, thus allowing you to enjoy even 4K games using PC or PS5.
The HDR10 compatibility makes the visual experience much more interesting as it notches up the clarity by a large margin. However, it is the blend of 120Hz high refresh rate and 16ms of low input lag that completely immerses you in visuals and lets you enjoy buttery smooth scenes.
The manufacturer has also supplied Game Display Mode that lets you see every minute detail and enjoy better visibility in shadow and dark scenes. The blend of the 6-Segment color wheel and 4000 lumens of brightness plays a vital role in ensuring that you will get accurate color and a bright environment in your games.
It also comes with a 1.47:1 throw ratio and 28-301inch screen size so that you can place the projector anywhere for a big-screen view. Any image deformation won’t be a headache to you as you will find keystone correction, optical and digital zoom, and focus for revision. We would recommend you not to utilize its 3-watt inbuilt speaker, which has an imperfect output.
What We Liked:
- Terrific gaming visuals with immense color accuracy.
- Support up to 4K resolution.
- Super smooth visuals with almost zero stuttering.
What We Didn’t Like:
- Poor inbuilt speaker.
- You can’t set it up in small rooms or urban apartments.
Another gaming projector, 1080p from the house of Optoma, is HD146X that has revolutionized the budget market with its exhilarating performance. Screen size has always been a priority for gamers, and that is why it packs a mammoth range of 40-385inch, which will allow you to host a lot of your friends.
However, you might face some difficulty during setup in a room with limited space as it has a throw ratio of 1.47-1.62:1 that incurs a large gap to get a broad screen. This projector is all about offering you an immersive gaming experience, and that is why it packs full HD native resolution with DLP projection technology. Plus, it also gets lightning-fast response time and Game Display mode that not only allows you to react quickly during competitive games but also get a proper view in dark scenes.
The six-segment color wheel is really impressive as it pops out all the natural colors and puts you in the middle of the gaming environment. If you fancy playing 3D games in full HD resolution, then this cheap gaming projector will fulfill that dream and that too at a 120Hz refresh rate. Thanks to the 3600 ANSI lumens, brightness and ambient light in your room will never be your concern as they can tackle almost every situation.
We also liked this device’s 15000hour lamp life, which is a significant aspect of any gaming device, and it also cuts down the cost of ownership. Unfortunately, you will have a limited number of connection facilities with this device as it houses only HDMI, audio 3.5mm, and USB Type-A.
What We Liked:
- Totally value-for-money product.
- Realistic image quality with optimum brightness.
- Totally suitable for gaming with all types of support.
- It is pretty easy to install.
What We Didn’t Like:
- You get limited connectivity options.
BenQ HT3550 is undoubtedly one of the best 4K projectors for gaming that carries all the necessary hardware along with all the bells and whistles of a gaming device. This projector is primarily suitable for casual gamers as it doesn’t get super low input lag.
Since it is meant for casual sessions, BenQ has geared it with a 40-200inch clear screen range so that you also have the option to use it for other purposes. The exciting part is that it gets a 1.13:1 throw ratio that bars you from maintaining a massive gap between screen and projector. You can’t have a proper gaming experience without good audio, and we think the dual inbuilt 5-watt speaker in this device does the job quite well.
Whether you want to connect Nintendo, PC, or any other device, you will have HDMI and USB Type-A & B at your service. However, it is the blend of DLP projection system and true 4K UHD native resolution that will get you addicted to this projector. Coupled with HDR Pro tone mapping, the 4K output of your in-game environment reaches a new height with balanced brightness and contrast.
We can assure you will feel like you are inside the game when you see its superior color accuracy, and the credit goes to Cinematic color technology with enhanced color mapping. The 2000 ANSI lumens do the job quite well because it not only delivers a sufficient amount of brightness but also fights ambient light intrusion.
What We Liked:
- Incredibly sharp and vivid 4K output.
- Produces almost all the natural colors.
- Creates cinematic output for all the single-player games.
What We Didn’t Like:
- You don’t get any horizontal lens shift.
If you go through different recommendation lists of 4K gaming projectors, one model that you would find common is Optoma UHD50X. It is a meticulously engineered product that utilizes authentic 4K native resolution and 500000:1 contrast ratio to create astounding quality for all your gaming visuals. We were in awe of its lag-free gaming performance, and it has been made possible by a 240Hz super high refresh rate along with a 26ms response time.
The projector also gets UltraDetail technology and an 8-segment color wheel that makes gaming much more engaging as you get crisp images and realistic colors of all the visuals. The 3400 ANSI lumens deliver a sufficient amount of brightness for all your games, and we didn’t get a faded view while playing FarCry 5 in a semi-lit room.
If you are playing competitive games, you can switch to Enhanced Game mode which lets you react quickly with a 15.7ms response time, but you need to switch to full HD resolution. You can even play your games in full 3D, but unfortunately, you can’t experience it in native 4K resolution.
When you are investing in a gaming projector, you will obviously want a widescreen, and that is why it offers you a 34-302inch projection size range. When it comes to connectivity, you won’t have to compromise as it houses HDMI, MHL, VGA, USB 2.0, USB A, RS232C, S/PDIF, and audio 3.5mm.
What We Liked:
- Buttery smooth and lag-free gaming experience.
- Realistic 4K output with bright and colorful frames.
- Excellent lamp life coverage.
- The inbuilt speaker does a great job.
What We Didn’t Like:
- There is unevenness in the brightness.
- The 50Hz deinterlacing performance is not up to the mark.
When taking a sneak peek at Epson Home Cinema 2220, it might not seem like a plausible option for an HD gaming projector, but things are different than it looks. Boasting advanced 3LCD display technology and full HD native resolution, this device will blow your mind with a mindboggling gaming visual and terrific detailing.
What is so special about this device? The ability to display 100% of RGB color signals will not only enhance your gaming experience but also spare you from any rainbow artifacts. Importantly it also treats you with four color modes so that you can change the saturation based on the type of game you are playing.
You can stay assured you won’t miss out on any details while playing a single-player game and the credit partially goes to 2700 ANSI lumens that highlight every subtle texture. The 35000:1 contrast ratio also plays a significant role in uplifting the gaming performance of this best projector for Xbox One as it ensures rich contrast and high black depth.
While playing inside your room, you won’t need an external speaker, and it is due to the 10-watt inbuilt sound system that creates room-filling audio. The setup process is really simple, and you will have the option of zoom focus and audio & vertical keystone correction for any image error.
Like every leading gaming projector, it also doesn’t compromise on projection size, and you can expand the screen from 30inch to 300inch with ease. Even though it gets a 200W UHE lamp, it can’t last more than 7500hrs, thus lowering the overall longevity.
What We Liked:
- The gaming visuals are rich in color and details.
- The textures are clear and smooth.
- Impressive inbuilt speaker performance.
What We Didn’t Like:
- You get limited port options.
Without a doubt, Sony VPL-HW45ES is a top-of-the-line gaming projector 1080p whose main motto is to engage you in long gaming sessions with eye-popping visual quality. It is based on full HD native resolution, so you can expect to have an excellent output for all your games with optimum detail and texture quality.
It may have full HD, but the premium SXRD projection system takes overall output to a new height and gives this projector an edge over others in performance. The 1800 ANSI lumens might seem low to you, but when we tested in a semi-lit room, we not only got bright highlights, but we never came across any fading issue.
The most impressive fact about this device is its super-fast response with MotionFlow technology that negates motion blur and allows you to get a clear view in fast-paced games. It even gets a contrast ratio of 60000:1, making it better suited for casual single-player games where the visual quality matters the most.
Besides, you can also utilize this device for 3D movie sessions as it supports full 3D production and comes with an inbuilt RF transmitter for compatibility with 3D glasses. While playing AC: Origin, we could entirely focus on the game, and its party was possible due to its whisper-quiet cooling operation.
What We Liked:
- Very bright projector and high color accuracy.
- Extremely straightforward to correct image deformation.
- Super quiet operation.
What We Didn’t Like:
- Inadequate lamp life coverage.
- It is quite expensive.
LG is well-known for producing some top gaming projectors in the market, and HU70LA is one from that lineage that has overwhelmed many gamers with its performance. 4K has now become an essential requirement for many casual gamers, and if you are one of them, then this device will rightly meet your need at an affordable rate.
With 1500 ANSI lumens and 1500000:1 contrast, you genuinely get a vivid viewing experience whenever you play a game in your room. LG has notched up the game with XPR technology and HDR Tone mapping as it realistically reproduces the gaming visuals from the source.
Although LG hasn’t mentioned actual response time, they have included TruMotion technology so that you get fluidic gaming visuals without stuttering in the frames. Playing single-player AAA games on this device is a treat to the eye as the 4Ch LED with wheel-less tech ensures vibrant image quality and accurate color output.
Loaded with HDMI, USB Type C, HID, USB 2.0, RJ45, and Bluetooth, it makes connecting gaming devices and other gaming peripherals an effortless task. It gets a decent screen size of 60-140inch, which we think is more than sufficient for gaming even when you want to play co-op with your friend.
What We Liked:
- Totally value for money.
- The overall image quality is simply outstanding.
- It doesn’t show you unnecessary motion blur.
- Simple and quick setup.
What We Didn’t Like:
- You can’t rely on the inbuilt speaker for a great experience.
Here is some crucial information that you should know before you make the final judgment.
Buying Guide for Best Gaming Projector
When you want to get the best gaming projector, there are many things you need to consider which will guide you to the ideal one. Here we have mentioned those crucial considerations;
- Resolution- You need high resolution to get a cinematic visual experience while you play your games. A full HD native resolution serves as the safest choice because many games are in this native resolution. However, if you have a high-end PC or console that is capable of producing 4K quality, then you should settle for 4K gaming projectors. Projectors with 4K resolution tend to come with an expensive price tag, so you should consider your budget.
- Brightness- It would be wise to choose a gaming unit that offers a minimum of 2000 lumens of brightness. A high lumens rating should always be your target because even if there is ambient light in your room, you won’t get a faded view. Moreover, you should choose the lumens based on the location and ambient light intrusion. It would help if you remembered, some high lumens units often degrade the image quality to produce bright visuals.
- Contrast and Color- The contrast and color of a gaming projector can make or break your visual experience. If you want to immerse yourself into the gaming visuals, you need to have a high contrast ratio and superior color accuracy. A high-contrast figure treats you with crisp and detailed images. At the same time, a high color accuracy will pop out all the colors in the image and give you an impressive texture in your gaming visual. You shouldn’t settle for anything less than a 20000:1 contrast ratio and 90% color gamut coverage.
- Input Lag- While you decide on a projector for gaming, you can’t ignore the input lag because it will determine your gaming experience. You need to go for low input lag as much as possible. A gaming projector with input lag below 20ms will be an ideal choice as it will give you an edge in competitive games and also enhance the single-player experience. The range between 20ms and 40ms also serves as a good option only if you are more into casual and single-player games.
- Refresh Rate- Another factor that largely influences your gaming output is the refresh rate. The higher the refresh rate of the gaming projector, the better will be fluidity and smoothness in the visuals. A 120hz, 144Hz, 240Hz serve as a great choice as it ensures that you can play 120fps, 144fps, and 240fps visuals without any stuttering or motion blur. A high refresh rate is beneficial when you play competitive games or fast action games as it gives you a lot of time to react to the environment.
- Screen Size- A gamer always wants to experience their game on the big screen, and that is why it is crucial to have a widescreen size. A screen size range of 30-200inch would offer a wide choice and allow you to change the size depending upon your requirement.
- Connectivity- You shouldn’t compromise on connectivity as it will assist you in connecting different types of devices to the projector. HDMI, VGA, USB, Wi-Fi, etc., are some basic requirements for a seamless connection.
Detailed Gaming Projector Features
A gaming projector comes with some specialized features that differentiate them from standard entertainment units. Here are some detailed features that will help you to identify the best projector for gaming;
- Low Input Lag- Input league serves as an essential feature of gaming projector because it decides the smoothness and response of the visuals. Even though every projector has some sort of input lag, gaming projectors come with low input lag. Generally, a projector for PC gaming comes with an input lag below 20ms that helps the projector to ensure a fast response time to any gaming sequence.
- High Frame Rate- Another aspect that differentiates a gaming unit from others is the high frame rate which is generally around 120Hz. A high frame rate not only allows the gamer to see visuals at high frames per second (120Hz=120fps) but also allows them to react quickly to each moment. It helps in delivering buttery smooth videos and negates all stuttering and unnecessary motion blur.
- Game Modes- The best mini projector for gaming will always provide you with game modes so that you can have the best gaming experience possible. These game modes are basically presets designed by the manufacturer, and each of them caters to different situations. You will have separate modes for different types of games, thus ensuring top-notch output.
- HDR Support- HDR might seem like a standard feature, but it is not available in all kinds of projector units. However, it is a relevant feature in most gaming projectors as it offers enormous color depth and clarity in the visuals. Moreover, modern PC and gaming consoles come with the support of HDR, which elevates the gaming visuals by a large margin.
Question: How many lumens do you need for a gaming projector?
Answer: Well, the lumens figure you need for a gaming projector entirely depends on the setup area and the ambient light intrusion. A 2000 ANSI lumens is sufficient for getting an outstanding gaming visual in a dark room. If you plan to use the projector also in your backyard, then it would be wise to get a unit with a minimum of 3000 ANSI lumens.
Question: Can I play PS5 on a projector?
Answer: You can comfortably use your PS5 console with the projector to get a big-screen gaming experience. However, a 4K projector would be preferable if you have a PS5 as it holds the prowess to deliver games in 4K native resolution. You just need an HDMI port to connect both the devices and play all your favorite games on the big screen. Check out our guide on how to connect PlayStation to a projector.
Question: Is a Projector better than a TV for gaming?
Answer: It is entirely debatable as different people have various opinions regarding their gaming experience on TV and projector. Some people prefer TV, while there is a large group of gamers who prefer to use the projector for gaming. However, we would say the projector gets the edge when it comes to gaming as it offers a broad screen size, portability, numerous modern features, low input lag, and specialized game modes.
Question: Can I play Xbox on a projector?
Answer: Playing Xbox on a projector is absolutely easy as you just need an HDMI (preferably 2.0) to hook both the devices. However, if you use an old projector with a VGA unit, you might face difficulty connecting the device. It is better to use a full HD or 4K unit to play Xbox because then only you can get the best out of your gaming console.
Question: Can you play PC games on a projector?
Answer: Like consoles, playing PC games on a projector is entirely straightforward as you can connect them either using HDMI or VGA. You can customize the visual quality of your game based on the projector you are using. You will get an immersive visual experience when both the PC and projector have a high refresh rate, fast response time, and similar native resolution.
Question: Can you hook up a video game system to a projector?
Answer: Projectors come with numerous connection facilities, which include the likes of HDMI, VGA, USB, Wi-Fi, etc. Whether you want to connect Wii, PS5, or PC, you can hook any video device you wish to your projector for a big-screen experience. However, if you use an old device, you might face some difficulty in connectivity, but you use a converter for connection. Check out our guide on how to connect Nintendo Switch to a projector. Or if you have a Nintendo Wii, check our guide here.
Gaming projectors are currently the rage in the market, especially among gamers who want to go beyond the boundary of a conventional 40inch screen. Whether you have a PC, PS4, Xbox, or any other gaming device, getting the best projector for PS4 or PC would be an intelligent choice.
We know choosing the ideal projector is tricky, but through this article, we have tried to make things simpler for you so you can comfortably get the gaming experience you desire. Apart from reviews of all the top gaming units, we have also forwarded some crucial information and FAQ so that you won’t have any air of confusion in your mind.
My name is Henry Larson and I have been associated with research and development of projectors throughout my professional career. I used all my experience and expertise to create this blog so that I can guide people to get the best projector of their choice. For any further assistance, you can get in touch with me through email or comments.