With the current Covid-19 situation, home entertainment has become an essential part of everyone’s life. Enjoying movies, football matches, or TV shows with family can be a tricky affair if you are living in an apartment as you would need a large area for installation.
Getting a short-throw projector would perfectly meet your needs as you can easily achieve a large image size without needing a large space for setup. Moreover, having a short-throw projector saves you from buying a large LED or OLED TV that comes with a hefty price tag. In this article, we have come up with some of the best ultra short throw projectors that would help you to build your home entertainment.
Identifying the best ultra short throw projector can be tricky, so we have created a comparison table with all the main features. It will not only clear all the air of confusion but will also assist you in narrowing down your choices.
Now, let’s begin with our reviews of all the best ultra short throw projectors for home theater along with their pros and cons;
Best Ultra Short Throw Projectors: Our Top Picks
|VAVA 4K LT002|
The 5 Best Ultra Short Throw Projectors of 2023
1. VAVA 4K LT002 Laser Ultra Short Throw Projector
VAVA 4K LT002 is an incredible piece of device that serves as one of the best ultra short throw 4K projectors in the market. Engineered with 4K native resolution and HDR capability, this projector will completely immerse you in a cinematic visual output with terrific clarity. Enjoy sharp detailing and vivid images, and it has been made possible by 6000lumens and 3000:1 striking contrast.
The inclusion of a wide color gamut and ALPD 3.0 cinematic technology makes the 4K visual a feast to your eye with razor sharpness. This projector’s most highlighting point is the 0.233:1 ultra short-throw ratio, which will let you easily achieve a 100inch screen from a few away. However, you can only extend the screen size up to 150inch, which is more than sufficient for any small room or space.
Based on Android 7.1, you can use the Smart TV system and explore all the current TV shows and movies without any hassle. In this ultra short throw projector 4K, you will Aptoide app store where you will find various entertainment apps for usage. To complete your cinematic experience, VAVA has also packed a 60-watt Harman Kardon speaker with Dolby audio, and together it delivers clear dialogue and room-filling audio.
The lossless DTS-HD gives you superior audio clarity by reducing all the distortion in your videos. Plus, it also offers a comprehensive connectivity solution by treating you with Bluetooth, HDMI, USB, AV, and audio output. Consider it as a decade-long investment because the 25,000 hour of lamp life ensures a long run. Unsurprisingly, this best ultra short throw laser projector comes with a one-year warranty, but if you register the product, you can expand the warranty to two years.
What We Liked:
- Impressive 4K detailing and color quality.
- Excellent brightness.
- Portable design.
- Clear and soothing audio output.
What We Didn’t Like:
- Loud fan noise.
- The Android platform is slightly laggy.
2. Optoma GT5600 Full HD Ultra Short Throw Projector
Optoma is known for offering some of the best ultra short throw projectors 1080p to the market, and GT5600 falls in that list, which has satisfied numerous users. It is the 0.25:1 throw ratio and ability to achieve a 100inch screen from 10inch that has made GT5600 famous in the market. Unfortunately, the limited screen size of 80-100inch will disappoint you, and you can’t expand it even when you have a large gathering in your apartment.
Leaving that aside, this ultra short throw projector 1080p is based on full HD resolution and DLP projection, meaning you will be enthralled by the image quality it has on offer. With a 20,000:1 contrast ratio and high 3600 ANSI lumens, you will be delighted with the clarity and detail it has on offer.
Are you a massive fan of 3D movies? Then GT5600 will quench your thirst as it offers full HD 3D compatibility from various sources and also supports for 144Hz rapid-refresh rate. With excellent viewing, you will also be treated with remarkable durability, and the 15000hours of lamp longevity serves as proof. While setting up the projector for entertainment, you might face some errors, and that is why Optoma has included four corner adjustments for easy correction.
The connection facilities it has on offer is simply unbelievable as you will get HDMI, MHL, composite, USB, VGA, and audio port. It also offers the option to add HDCast Pro that enables streaming and screen mirroring via Wi-Fi. Even though the installation process is quite effortless, you might face some problems due to its heavy view, especially during portability. Like every other Optoma product, this ultra short throw projector 1080p also gets a 1-years warranty, which will serve as an added perk.
What We Liked:
- Impressive detailing and clarity in visuals.
- Seamless wired and wireless connectivity.
- It offers best in class throw distance.
What We Didn’t Like:
- Very limited screen size range.
- It is quite heavy.
3. Epson Home Cinema LS100 Ultra Short Throw Projector
Epson Home Cinema LS100 is undoubtedly one of the best ultra short throw HD projectors in the market, and it has been dominating this segment for a long time. Based on ultra-bright laser technology and 4000 lumens, you will be stunned by the brightness and color quality it maintains in all the videos. It also packs a 2,500,000:1 contrast ratio that makes enormous improvement in the visual output by providing brilliant colors and deep blacks.
However, it is the advanced 3-chip design and full HD native resolution that makes a significant impact on the visual quality and ensures a rainbow effect-free viewing experience. Designed for big-size viewing, Epson has engineered this device with 70-130inch, which is quite useful when you go for ultra short throw projector comparison.
The feature that takes all the limelight is the 0.27:1 throw ratio, as it allows users to enjoy extensive screen viewing by arranging a limited space for the setup. The whole setup process is quite simple, and you just have to use the HDMI, USB, monitor-out, video, and audio port to connect the external device.
The keystone correction, zoom, and manual focusing will come in handy for you as you will be able to rectify any issue that you might face while increasing the screen size. A great thing about this imaging device is that it doesn’t make much sound while you are enjoying games or movies with your family or friends. Unfortunately, it is incredibly bulky in comparison to others and weighs around 24.3lbs. Another big highlight of this projector is the 30000hour of lamp life, and it indicates a daily usage for at least 10years.
What We Liked:
- Affordable pricing for a laser projector.
- Bright and colorful full HD visuals.
- Terrific short throw capability for big-screen viewing.
- It comes loaded with numerous connectivities.
What We Didn’t Like:
- It requires frequent image adjustment.
4. Hisense 100L10E 4K UHD Ultra Short Throw Projector
When you take a first look at Hisense 100L10E, you might consider it as an imaging device from any best cheap ultra short throw projector. But in reality, it is a top-of-the-line projector that treats your eye 4K HDR visual content with terrific detailing and sharpness. The 98% DCI-P3 comprehensive color gamut coverage makes sure you get true to life image quality with rich colors.
The blend of 3000 ANSI lumens and 1500:1 contrast ratio makes a huge impact and delivers the required quality that you would expect from a premium 4K ultra short throw laser projector. What makes it unique? It is the UHD upscaler that upscales any SD, HD, or FHD contents close to 4K resolution and ensures an extraordinary entertainment session.
It is quite a versatile projector when it comes to setup as it can easily project a 100inch screen from 8inch, thus allowing you to use it for various occasions. A unique feature of this projector is the ambient light rejection display that makes sure you get a great view from any angle. If you are an action movie buff, then you will love this projector because it has MEMC technology that makes fast-action scenes smoother and more precise.
Connecting external video sources won’t be a problem, and the credit goes to the 4 HDMI, HDMI ARC, 2 USB, Ethernet, audio, Bluetooth, and dual-band Wi-Fi. The Alexa-enabled Smart TV makes this 4K ultra short throw projector easy to access and use. Experience 100-watt superior audio from the inbuilt Harman Kardon speakers with dbx-TV and enjoy all your movies with all the sound effects. Once you buy this projector, you will get a two-year manufacturer’s limited warranty covering most of the damages.
What We Liked:
- Cinematic 4K visual quality with superb detailing.
- Excellent motion performance.
- Great user experience.
What We Didn’t Like:
- The absence of lens shift.
- It lacks HLG.
5. LG HF85LA CineBeam Class 1 Short Throw Projector
One of a kind UST projector is an excellent way to define LG HF85LA that is loaded with some incredible features and functionalities. You might judge it as an ordinary portable ultra short throw projector, but it will blow your mind with its full HD visual quality coupled with superior clarity.
With 1500 ANSI lumens and a 150,000:1 contrast ratio, you will awe with clarity, black depth, and vividness of images even in the presence of ambient light. The presence of laser projection makes a huge difference, and you will understand by looking at the color quality and richness. Offering lamp longevity up to 20,000hours, it provides better durability than most of the best ultra short throw projector 4K in the market.
LG HF85LA flaunts the popular TruMotion features where it negates all the blur and ensures smooth visuals in the fast frame sequence. What’s more? You can enjoy all your movies and football matches in 100inch while relaxing in your bed, and it is due to its firstname.lastname@example.org image projection capability. LG has given a manual four corner keystone and focus ring so that you can perfectly fit the visuals within the screen and enjoy your movies.
With LG Smart TV support, you can comfortably enjoy the world of OTT content with just one press from the Magic Remote. Loaded with HDMI, Bluetooth, DTV Tuner, USB, Screen Share, DLNA, HID, and audio-out, it offers a complete connectivity solution and assists you in using various types of devices. LG has given one-year parts and labor warranty with this device, which is a boon since repairs can be costly.
What We Liked:
- Detailed and sharp images, even on a 100inch screen.
- It offers terrific placement versatility.
- Fluidic visuals with almost zero blur.
- Seamless wireless transmission through Wi-Fi.
What We Didn’t Like:
- Low brightness compared to its competitors.
- You can’t connect it wirelessly to iOS devices.
We have also put forward some crucial information that will come in handy while you are deciding which projector to choose.
What Is An Ultra Short Throw Projector?
Like every other short throw projector, an ultra short throw projector offers the same functionality but what makes it different is the 0.4 and lower throw ratio. Unlike others, it can easily achieve almost 100inch image size from 4-6ft away and that too without compromising on quality. You can’t achieve the same with a standard projector as it needs nearly 10 to 12ft throw distance to create a 100inch image on the screen.
They are generally built with a specialized lens that holds the prowess to expand the image without needing a considerable distance from the screen. UST projector is made to offer a complete imaging solution for small spaces and allow you to place it close to the screen or wall while using it.
You just need a small table or any placement option to set up the projector, and you can easily enjoy movies or TV shows with your family without space cringe. Short throw projector comes with various features, but none of their throw ratios goes above 0.4:1 figure. This projector is increasingly becoming popular in urban areas, especially among millennials who want to create an entertainment setup in their rooms.
Nowadays, many offices and education institutes are preferring the UST projector rather than standard as it is easy to set up and requires a small setup area. Importantly, they are available in a wide price range, so no one would have a problem owning them.
When Should Someone Use A UST Projector?
A UST or ultra short throw projector comes with some crucial benefits, and it fits perfectly for special needs. For users who can’t afford to spare a large space in their home for projector setup, a UST projector would be an ideal device for them. They need only a few inches from the screen or wall to create a large image so that you won’t need a vast space for setup.
It is an ideal entertainment device for small rooms, apartments, or small office spaces. A UST image device will be suitable for people who are planning for entertainment in their bedroom or want to create a minimalistic setup.
An ultra short throw projector offers brighter images than a projector having the same brightness rating. So if your room has a lot of ambient light, then a UST projector will be useful as it can easily project bright images without any fading. Moreover, the shorter distance from the screen reduces any loss in light traveling from the projector, thus ensuring optimum image quality.
Another reason that might draw you toward a UST projector is its simple and effortless installation and alignment facility. You don’t need a wall mount or ceiling mount to set them up in your room. What you need is a standard table, and you just have to place them close to the screen for a big-screen viewing experience. In addition, the alignment process is relatively easy, and you can comfortably achieve a clear screen without much hassle.
If you are looking for the convenience of portability, then a UST projector would be a plausible option as most of the models come in compact form factor. Not only can you quickly move them to different areas of your house, but you can also comfortably carry them to outdoor locations or your friend’s house. However, it would be wrong to say that all of them come in portable form factors, but most of the models are easy to carry. A UST projector comes with many other numerous perks, so it would be an excellent choice for your entertainment purpose.
Buying Guide Of Ultra Short Throw Projector
Whether you are buying a projector, screen, or TV, it is not easy to find the appropriate model as a lot of considerations come into play. To make things easier for you, we have created a detailed buying guide that will assist you in getting the best UST projector based on your requirement;
- Throw Ratio- Obviously, when you are getting an ultra short throw projector, you will get a super short projection distance. But different UST projectors will have different throw ratios. In contrast, some can project a 100inch image from 8ft away while others can achieve the same screen size from 5ft away. Depending upon your setup area, you can arrange for the projector and screen; you need to decide the throw distance.
- Screen Size- When choosing an ultra short throw projector, it is vital to take screen size into consideration. In the typical screen size range, you will find 40-160inch, but you can opt for a broader range depending upon your usage. You should adequately assess the setup area before choosing the screen size.
- Native Resolution- Native resolution is one of the primary things you need to consider while choosing a short throw projector. The resolution projector will decide the type of content you can play and the quality you will get. UST projectors come in different resolution figures, but you shouldn’t settle below 720p. 1080p and 4K native resolution serve as the best option as it will give you terrific visual output with excellent color saturation and clarity.
- Brightness- No one would love to get a faded view while watching a movie, and that is why you need a good amount of brightness to ensure a clear picture. Even though UST projectors deliver better brightness but you still need a good amount of illumination for a good view. The suitable brightness level you should choose is 1000-3000 ANSI, but if you plan to use it in a dark room, then a 500 ANSI would do a decent job.
- Connectivity Options- It is crucial that you should properly evaluate the type of inputs you need for setting up your projector. HDMI, VGA, USB, and audio 3.5mm is the minimal connectivity option you will need in a projector for seamless entertainment. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth will serve as an added advantage if you are planning for wireless connection options. So it is crucial that you should prioritize your preferences and the type of external devices you want to use before choosing the inputs of the UST projector.
- Lamp Longevity- When you are investing your hard-earned money in a projector, you will obviously want it to last for a long time without requiring lamp replacement. So it is best to go with a projector with more than 20,000 hours of lamp life as it will ensure the 5-year of non-stop entertainment. However, not all projectors will offer you the same, so you should try to get a UST projector with a long lamp life.
- Warranty- Warranty coverage is a vital part of your projector, as it will ensure a safe investment. The minimum warranty coverage you will get is one-year, and within the warranty coverage, the manufacturer will take care of all the damages and issues. For future repairs, some manufacturers offer the option of extending the warranty at certain costs. You should avoid projectors that don’t come with warranty coverage or accurate information regarding the warranty policy.
- Image Correction Facilities- UST projectors are known for their quick installation and alignment, but they often use image correction facilities to fix errors. So it is recommended to get a projector with keystone correction, focus ring, and zoom as basic image correction tools. It would be great if you can get a lens shift as it will help you to correct any image error within split seconds easily.
Does Ultra Short Throw Projector Need A Special Screen?
In general, an ultra short throw projector doesn’t need any special screen for the projector, and you can use any screen with high gain to get a good view. However, many experts suggest that to get the best picture quality, you should opt for a short throw and light rejecting screen. This type of screen material not only ensures optimum brightness but also denies all the ambient light by diverting them away.
These screens come with high gain that allows them to reflect all the lights; thus, it treats your eye with premium visual output. Unfortunately, these special screens don’t come cheap, and some of the models are priced at around $2000. So if you are short on budget or don’t want to spend a considerable amount of money on the screen, then you can go for any standard screen with good material and gain.
In the end, we can conclude by saying that our list of best ultra short throw projectors will make it simpler for you to choose the appropriate model for your entertainment. We have spent a lot of weeks in research and testing before putting forward all the projectors.
So we can confidently say that you won’t be disappointed by the visual performance and durability of any of the projectors. All the products offer terrific short-throw projection so you can say goodbye to all the space issues in your home that you might have faced with a regular phone. However, in terms of warranty, they don’t excel much and most of them will only give you a one-year coverage.
For your assistance, we have even devised a buying guide along with some crucial information, and we think it will direct you to the right path. If you need any further assistance, you can get in touch with us through email or comment, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
My name is Henry Larson and I have been associated with research and development of projectors throughout my professional career. I used all my experience and expertise to create this blog so that I can guide people to get the best projector of their choice. For any further assistance, you can get in touch with me through email or comments.