Projection mapping is an innovative process that requires the assistance of a projector to get the job done. However, you can’t expect any ordinary projector to offer you excellent performance when it comes to 3D video mapping.
Projection mapping usually requires high contrast, excellent resolution, and high brightness to create a 3D projection on the 2D surface. Generally, this phenomenon is utilized in the corporate sector for different events or product launches.
Nowadays, regular events like weddings also utilize projection mapping to glamourize the event. So it is crucial to get the best projector for projection mapping that will not only deliver excellent performance but will also offer high-quality 3D output.
Here we have come up with five top projectors for projection mapping that will offer spectacular display and will dazzle the audience with their 3D display and animation.
Here we have also come up with a comparison table that will help you to point out the ideal projector for projection mapping rather than looking for others.
Best Projector for Projection Mapping: Our Top Picks
The 5 Best Projector for Projection Mapping of 2021
1. ViewSonic PX701HD 1080p Dual HDMI Projector
When it comes to projection mapping projectors, ViewSonic PX701HD serves as an inevitable choice for most users. Brightness is a crucial requirement for projection, and it efficiently delivers 3500 ANSI to ensure a clear image even in ambient light.
While projecting an object on the surface, you won’t lose out on any detail, and the credit goes to the full HD native resolution. The high resolution maintains optimum detail in the mapping and lets you impress the viewers with the powerful performance. It is a highly diverse model in projection mapping that offers comprehensive color coverage with its SuperColor technology.
The silky-smooth output with negligible lag in the projection mapping is what set it apart from others, and it has been made possible by its 16ms low input latency. At a budget rate, this product with a screen size of up to 300inches is an excellent option as you will be projecting an object on a large surface.
While doing the mapping, you won’t have to worry about distortion, as you can use 1.1x optical zoom and vertical lens shift to correct all the issues. Connectivity is an essential aspect because you will need the projector to connect devices for software. PX701HD comes loaded with HDMI, Computer-in, Monitor out, RS232, and audio-in & out to cater to your connectivity needs.
The dual 3D Blu-Ray ready HDMI input acts as an added advantage and lets you expand your projection mapping skills. Unlike others, you can run this device for at least 20000hours, making it a great value for money, according to experts.
What We Liked:
- Clear and bright images with minimal fade.
- Great detailing the 3D objects.
- A negligible amount of lag while projecting on a large surface.
What We Didn’t Like:
- It lacks any HDR support.
- You will lose some color if you keep it in default settings.
2. Optoma HD146X High-Performance 3600Lumens Projector
With a cinematic resolution of 1920 X 1080, Optoma HD146X is a critically acclaimed projector to help you to accomplish all your projection mapping needs. You need a powerful performance from your 3D projection mapping projector, and this is the reason Optoma has geared it with DMD chips and super-fast response time.
Whether you showcase your work in a dark or semi-lit room, you can expect to create a bright output with the high 3600 ANSI of brightness. The 500,000:1 contrast ratio takes the overall projection depth to a new height and makes it perform far better than its previous generations.
The super-fast response time with shadow boosting facility enhances the projection and lets you point out each of the details in your object. You can notch the screen size up to 300, meaning you will have the option to utilize a wide empty space to showcase the image or video you want to show through mapping.
While going for a large screen, there is a chance that you might face image issues, but you need not worry because you will have 40% keystone correction and 1.1x zoom. You can use the projection mapping software from varied devices as you will have HDMI with 3D support.
Experts have also pointed out the fact, the availability of single input will limit your option to connect older devices having VGA or USB Type. However, many people have appreciated it for its excellent throw distance as it lets you project a 120inch image from 13ft away.
What We Liked:
- Entirely value for money.
- It counters ambient light with super high brightness.
- The images are sharp and lucid.
- It is loaded with varied types of facilities.
What We Didn’t Like:
- The zoom range could have been better.
- The fan noise can be bothersome.
3. Epson VS260 3-Chip 3LCD XGA Projector
Epson VS260 has become a common choice among newcomers and professionals who want to achieve house projection mapping at a budget rate. It is a highly capable projector with 3300 lumens; you can project your upcoming build model in most meeting rooms without worrying about fading.
It is undoubtedly a great projection device that incorporates three-chip 3LCD technology and high color accuracy to bring out the life in all the objects through projection mapping. Even though it has a 1024 X 768 native resolution, the things it produces on the surface are sharp and highly detailed. With the capability to show a 100% RGB color signal and negate any rainbow effect, it will surely impress you and your audience with its remarkable projection mapping capability.
Many experts were blown away with its striking dynamic contrast of 15000:1 that offers not only substantial black depth but also rich detailing in most images. The inbuilt skew sensor makes it a showstopper in the market as it analyzes all the photos and instantly corrects any keystone while you are showcasing any project to your client.
You can run this projector for almost 12000hours in economic mode, making it an excellent choice for projector mapping as the process tends to utilize a lot of lamp power.
It has a throw distance of 1.45:1, which most professionals thought was a decent option at this price point. The features that make this projector different from others are the e-zoom and digital shift that allows users to adjust the picture using the remote easily.
What We Liked:
- Impressive clarity and color quality in 3D mapping.
- Simple setup with easy image corrections.
- Super bright image with almost zero fading.
What We Didn’t Like:
- It doesn’t come with all the standard connectivity ports.
4. Epson Home Cinema 880 3LCD 1080p Projector
Are you thinking about investing in the best projector for projection mapping? Well, you should definitely consider Epson Home Cinema 880 that has all the features you need for a great display of your project.
Loaded with a combination 1080p native resolution and 3LCD technology, it accurately portrays your building project or logo into the surface without losing clarity. The 3300 ANSI lumens play an essential role in ensuring bright output even if you have ambient light in the room.
There is a reason that it is preferred more than others and the main reason is its dynamic 16000:1 contrast ratio offering rich detailing, especially in the dark areas. As a matter of fact, it is loved by many professionals due to its capability to display 100% RGB color signal, which creates a true-to-life 3D projection of the object.
While showcasing your project, you won’t have to maintain a wide gap, and the credit goes to the 1.21:1 throw ratio. Whether you want to use the software through a laptop or phone, you can easily do it through HDMI and USB Type-A & B connectivity support.
The USB Plug ‘n Play facility makes it extremely easy for you to play the software directly from the PC. Every user looks for a projector that is easy to set up, and this product is definitely one of them. Whether you aren’t getting an out-of-focus object projection or deformed output, the 30-degree keystone with manual focus and digital zoom can correct all the issues.
What We Liked:
- The projection mapping output is clear and vivid.
- You can see each corner of the object with proper detailing.
- Hassle-free and straightforward setup process.
What We Didn’t Like:
- It is pretty heavy to be used as a portable unit.
- The speaker isn’t great.
5. DBPOWER RD828 1080p 8500L Wi-Fi Projector
DBPOWER RD828 might not seem like a highly efficient 3D mapping projector in the first place, but once you start using it, you will change your perception. It is based on a massive brightness level of 8500L which gives you the freedom to use it anywhere to showcase your designed object and that too without worrying about ambient light.
Plus, it comes with the support of full HD native resolution that adds overall performance and helps you to achieve an incredible 3D object on the surface. The 10000:1 contrast ratio may not be high in comparison to other mapping units but get the job done in providing the required clarity.
Many people have praised its smooth connectivity to different devices wirelessly, and it has all been possible with the latest Wi-Fi connectivity. It even gets Wi-Fi smartphone synchronize screen technology that lets you connect your projector to different smartphones for easy use of the software.
You will also have the option to use HDMI and USB for connectivity so that you won’t be limited to certain choices. The 4D Keystone correction eases all your worry regarding image deformation and assists you in getting a clear 3D mapping output with any error.
One feature that you will hardly find in any of its competitors is the 100000hours LED lamp longevity, making it last for decades. We think the 40-300inch screen size range is incredible for this device because you can change the size of the 3D object depending upon the crowd.
What We Liked:
- Seamless and lag-free Wi-Fi connectivity.
- The overall detailing and pictures are exceptional.
- It maintains optimum brightness in 3D objects.
- It comes with incredible lamp life support.
- It is loaded with all the latest correction facilities.
What We Didn’t Like:
- It is slightly bulky.
Before we bid final goodbye, we also present you with some crucial information that we think will help you to understand the projector in a better fashion.
What is Projection Mapping?
Projection mapping is a video projection technology that uses sophisticated methods to map a video into a flat surface. It is a complicated process where the projector turns any object like name, runways, and buildings into a 3D interactive output. Basically, it turns the surface into a 3D medium where you can evaluate each corner of the design.
It is the exciting magic of light and illusion that creates a unique perception as if the projection has come alive. The mapping process utilizes the surface texture and shape and combines it with the projected visual or image to create an illusion. In the beginning, it wasn’t a big hit, but gradually many industries started incorporating to display their work.
Most corporate organizations utilize projection mapping in their events for showcasing their products rather than making use of conventional hand-made or 3D objects. It immerses the viewers into a whole new dimension and allows them to get a feel of the item.
The projection mapping follows a complicated yet streamlined process where it needs specialized software to map a two or three-dimensional object. During the projection, you will have to design the lighting and develop the content to get a great 3D perception of your object.
However, there is some modern software that doesn’t require much involvement, and you just have to import the photos or videos into the software. It is quite different from regular projection because it allows you to project on a colored surface with a definition background.
Nowadays, different kinds of software help in projection where you will have to create the object, and the software’s job will be to project the object in a realistic way. Lightform, Watchout, Millumin, Arkos GrandVJ XT, HeavyM, MadMapper, etc., are some popular software for projection mapping.
Buying Guide of Projector for Projection Mapping
Planning to buy the finest projection mapping projector but clueless how to get the ideal one? Then check out our guide that will pave the path for you to find the projector that will cater to your need;
- Brightness- In projection mapping, brightness plays an influential role as it helps the projector to overcome ambient light and create excellent output. Depending upon the surrounding area where you will do the projection mapping, you need to decide the brightness level. It would be best to get a projector with a minimum of 1500 ANSI lumens as it will be able to tackle any typical light intrusion. However, for outdoor areas where there will be a lot of ambient light, then it will be best to get at least 2500 ANSI lumens.
- Throw Ratio- Projection mapping performance depends a lot on the throw ratio of the projector. It is best to get a short-throw projector because then you can place the projector close to the intended surface. Maintaining a small gap will not only ensure a clear visual output, but it will also make sure of a minimal loss of detailing and light. You can also go for an average throw ratio, but there is a chance of fading if there is a lot of ambient light.
- Resolution- You can’t expect a tremendous projecting mapping with a low resolution as it takes overall object formation and detailing in the design. Whether you go for Christmas projector mapping or any other option, you need to have a high resolution as the greater the resolution, the better will be the visual output. 4K would be the ideal option for projection mapping, but a 4K projector is quite expensive. So if you don’t want to spend a considerable amount of money, then an HD or full HD projector would be a great option.
- Contrast- Well, the contrast of a Christmas house projection mapping projector may not seem as a crucial factor, but in reality, it plays an important role. Having the assistance of a wide contrast ratio will allow the projector to highlight all the detailing and maintain a deep shadow wherever required. According to experts, if you can get a model with around a 30000:1 contrast ratio, then you can expect to have an outstanding visual experience. However, if you fail to find it, you should at least get a projector with a minimum 10000:1 contrast ratio.
- Lamp Life- In general, a projector for projection mapping tends to use a considerable amount of lamp power to produce a 3D object. So it would help if you look for a model that has high lamp longevity because then only you can use the projector for a long time without needing frequent lamp replacement. A lamp life around 20000-30000hour would serve as a great choice, but there are a limited number of projector that offer such life expectancy. You can also go for projectors with 10000hour of lamp longevity, but you should try not to settle below that figure.
Projection mapping is an exciting task that allows many creators to showcase their creativity on a large screen. Having the assistance of the best projector for projection mapping will ease up your job and help you to project images or videos onto 3D objects.
Through this article, we have come up with a top-five projector for projection mapping that will comfortably cater to all your requirements. We have also provided a buying guide, and it will help you to narrow down your choices.
My name is Henry Larson and I have been associated with research and development of projectors throughout my professional career. I used all my experience and expertise to create this blog so that I can guide people to get the best projector of their choice. For any further assistance, you can get in touch with me through email or comments.